One of the biggest complaints that I get from my Los Angeles Mommy Makeover patients is about their stretch marks. Sometimes I am able to surgically remove very bad stretch marks, but only when they happen to form in an accessible location. Frequently, stretch marks form in areas where they are visible and not easily removed.
Here are some basic facts about stretch marks:
1. Stretch marks are an actual disruption of the dermis layer of the skin.
2. Stretch marks form when skin expands significantly (i.e. with weight gain or pregnancy) & the dermis is stretched.
3. The dermal collagen fibers become disrupted and are visible through the intact epidermis (i.e. outer layer of skin).
4. Stretch marks can form anywhere on the body, but are most often seen on the abdomen, breasts & arms.
6. Stretch marks can be improved with a combination of laser skin treatments.
7. Stretch marks are best prevented; keeping your skin well moisturized during the length of your pregnancy helps.